header image

Treasure hunt in and around the school

Posted by: | September 28, 2013 | 1 Comment |

As my 6th graders were getting tired of just sitting in the classroom and learning after a mere fortnight of school, I thought about organising an activity that would walk us all away from the plank of simplicity in the classroom!

8 groups of 2, 3 or 4 students aged 12 enjoyed a treasure hunt around our school yesterday!

They were asked to act in their groups and – inside the school premises – to work collaboratively through a team worksheet with various instructions, such as:

- taking photos with their mobile devices;

- bringing grass, pebbles, sand, leaves back to class;

- asking the student on duty (who welcomes all the people who enter our school) to draw certain pictures;

- answering questions about the headteachers, the cars in the parking lot, the library and offices in the school, the sports halls and the sports field;

- solving a puzzle on a handout positioned by a window in the Teachers’ Corridor.

My students loved this hands-on approach to learning English – reinforcing vocabulary and revising grammar points – and they also remembered things about the school that they had forgotten during the three months of summer holidays!

I so loved my students frantically running around the school yard, enjoying the beautiful sunshine after days of rain, taking a break from usual schoolwork, having fun!

Daniela.

under: Classroom activities

1 Comment

1. By: Anca on September 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm      Reply

Love what you do with your students! Hands-on is the best approach to learning anything, no doubt about that!

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories