header image

Oranges, a little wind and a lot of inspiration – eTwinning Annual Conference Lisbon 14-16 March 2013

Posted by: | March 30, 2013 | 1 Comment |

Plenary talks, an extraordinary series of workshops on various aspects of teaching within eTwinning through the use of new technologies, the prizes for the most successful projects in Europe, an attractive exhibition with many stands of projects from all the eTwinning countries – all this embellished with gadgets, games and interactive materials focused on the issue of active European citizenship.

Androulla Vassiliou, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism, Sport, Media and Youth sent a video greeting to the participants, thanking all the teachers for their contribution to eTwinning’s success and emphasizing its fundamental role in the forthcoming European Programme from 2014 to 2020 Erasmus for All.

João Casanova, Vice Minister of Education of Portugal, gave a warm welcome to the 500 guests from all over Europe.

Bob Fryer of the University of Leicester talked about citizenship learning in the 21st century – an inspiration to all those present.

He pointed out that we live in a world of individualism and globalization the role of education is essential, and talked about how we can make our students oriented in our society. He then focused on the idea that a greater awareness and understanding of diversity can actually lead to a higher level of social cohesion. In this way, students who come into contact with new ways of thinking and different ways of interpreting and doing things through transnational projects develop their inner side on a more solid base – a guideline on which we can base the concept of the new European citizenship.

I was happy to be part of it all – gave my workshop on project visibility to about 80 participants in two sessions, helping Claire Morvan from the eTwinning Central Support Service in Brussels.

Thank you, Lisbon and eTwinning! :-)

Daniela.

All photos – my own.

under: Education, eTwinning, My workshops

1 Comment

1. By: teacher on April 2, 2013 at 10:20 pm      Reply

Thanks Daniela for this post which explains so clearly what happened during the first part of the conference, which I unluckily missed. What Bob Fryer said is really inspiring and I too think eTwinning plays an important part in helping young people get awareness of being part of a big community. What is more precious than being given the opportunity of establishing relationships and making friends with so many people while working and having fun together?
    Alessandra

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories